Do you know that the federal government provides free refrigerators to low-income eligible households? Probably not. But this is true that people like you and me whose budgets are too tight to buy refrigerators can apply for free refrigerators through beneficiary programs.
You are very lucky that you have visited this page. Therefore, you have come to know about such a great opportunity to get refrigerators for free. Only a few Americans know about it in the US. This article discusses government and non-government programs that support low-income American households by providing them with refrigerators at no cost.
You can also be eligible to get refrigerators at zero price. So, don’t miss this great opportunity.
Read the article to learn about free refrigerator programs.
Can I get no-cost refrigerators through free refrigerator programs?
Yes, you can get no-cost refrigerators through free refrigerator programs. The US federal government always tries to support income-eligible Americans with basic life necessities for free. Refrigerator is not a luxury but a necessity. Therefore, the federal government has rolled out some beneficiary programs for income-eligible Americans that can offer them refrigerators without any price tag.
You also don’t need to bother about the price tags of the refrigerator if you are income-eligible. You can get a top-notch quality refrigerator without looking at the price tags. Furthermore, many non-profit organizations are also supporting disadvantaged Americans.
Which free refrigerator programs are functioning in the USA?
So, you need a refrigerator for your home, but you don’t know how you will get it for free. Don’t bother about the price tags of refrigerators. Here is a detailed description of the free refrigerator programs. So, let’s delve into the following paragraphs:
1. Weatherization Assistance Programs
The US Department of Energy (DOE) rolled out the Weatherization Assistance Program. This program aims to reduce the energy expenditure of low-income American households by upgrading their energy-related appliances.
The DOE knows that the disadvantaged section of society can’t buy or upgrade their energy appliances. Therefore, it provides them with these appliances free of cost. In this way, if the DOE invests USD 1.00 in the Weatherization Assistance Program, the WAP returns a non-energy profit of USD 2.78. These non-energy benefits include tremendous benefits for families whose homes receive weatherization assistance program benefits.
So, without any delay, apply for the free refrigerator programs under the Weatherization Assistance Program. This program has been designed particularly for the vulnerable such as the disabled, elderly, and children.
How can I be eligible for the Weatherization Assistance Program?
Go through the following pointers to check the eligibility criteria for the Weatherization Assistance Programm:
- Supplemental Security Income; or
- Beneficiary of the Families with Dependent Children; or
- The gross household income should be at or below 200% according to the Federal Poverty Guidelines
How to apply for the free refrigerator via the Weatherization Assistance Program?
Check the following steps that you should follow to apply for the free refrigerator via the Weatherization Assistance Program:
- First of all, you should check your eligibility for the Weatherization Assistance Program.
- Then, visit the website https://www.energy.gov/scep/wap/how-apply-weatherization-assistance
- You will view a state agency locator. Use the map given to locate the state weatherization agency.
- Then, you will be redirected to the site of the state agency to get information about the local agency.
- Fill out an application form to apply for the local agency on the state weatherization agency.
- Alternatively, you have to visit the official website of the local provider to fill out an application form.
- To begin the application procedure, click on the How to Apply
- Upload the proof of income for the prior year. For income eligibility proof, you can upload paystubs or social security payments.
Stay cool and comfortable all summer long with a free air conditioner! Discover how you can beat the heat without breaking the bank.
2. Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
The US Department of Health and Human Services funds the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). You should apply for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program and get a free refrigerator within a few days at your doorstep. But to avail of this benefit, you should be eligible income-eligible.
How to apply for the free refrigerator via the LIHEAP?
Go through the following steps to apply for the LIHEAP:
- Head over to the website https://liheapch.acf.hhs.gov/search-tool/
- Scroll down the screen to explore the option of Search.
- Then, choose any one option out of State, Territory, and Tribal.
- You will be redirected to the LIHEAP Office Search Tool.
- Search by state or territory.
- You will view the names of the local providers.
- Start filling out an application form.
- Provide details in the application form.
3. Energy Star
The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) administers the Energy Star. This blue-label energy star provides customers with unbiased cost-effective solutions. You can apply for the refrigerator by visiting the local store of Energy Star, and then you will receive a certain rebate on your purchased item. This rebate is just like a subsidy that you will receive to purchase an energy-efficient home appliance.
How to apply for a subsidized refrigerator via Energy Star?
Go through the following pointers to know how you can get a rebate on a refrigerator via Energy Star:
- Head over to the website of Energy Star.
- Navigate to the option of
- Scroll down the screen to explore the option of Rebate Finder.
- Enter the ZIP code to find your nearby Energy Star local stores.
- Then, press the option of
- Contact the nearby Energy Star retail store.
4. LADWP’s Refrigerator Exchange Program
Do you have an old model of the refrigerator? If yes, you have a great opportunity to get a new Energy Star refrigerator free of charge in exchange for your old model of refrigerator. But your old and used refrigerator should be qualified as per the terms and conditions of the LADWP’s refrigerator exchange policy.
What are the refrigerator qualification requirements?
Go through the following pointers to learn about the old refrigerator qualification requirements:
- The refrigerator should be located in the LADWP territory.
- This should not be on rent but owned by the owner.
- The refrigerator should be at least 10 years old.
- Its height should be at least 14 cubic.
- It should not be defective or damaged.
5. Thrift Stores
Many thrift stores are open near your location. If you start searching for them, you will find that many thrift stores are selling refurbished and recycled refrigerators at a very low cost. Don’t think that they are of poor quality and will increase your energy expenditure. Note that they are refurbished and recycled. Then, their lifetime is increased. They have become durable and brilliant by going through the procedure of refurbishment and recycling. So, you can also seek great help in these stores when you are short of money.
You can ask your nearest church if it can provide you with an old and used refrigerator. Churches spread kindness everywhere, and they believe in ending the gap between the rich and the poor. They usually help those vulnerable such as senior citizens, the disabled, veterans, single moms, and disadvantaged Americans. Therefore, they invite donations from the people and help those who are in extreme need. You can also elevate the standard of your life with the help of a donated refrigerator.
1. Can I be the beneficiary of the free refrigerator program if I have an EBT card?
Yes, you can be the beneficiary of the free refrigerator program if you have an EBT card. The EBT card is often offered to these beneficiaries who are income-eligible. So, by showing your EBT card, you can prove that you belong to a disadvantaged group and can’t afford groceries.
2. How can I prove my eligibility for the free refrigerator program?
You can prove your eligibility for the free refrigerator program by showing your current year’s pay stubs or by showing the benefit statement of Supplemental Security Income.
This article has covered all the free refrigerator programs. You can save it for future reference. This is a helping guide that will assist you in receiving free refrigerators. If you are running short of money and can’t afford an expensive refrigerator, you can apply for one of the above-suggested free refrigerator programs and get your refrigerator at zero cost.